Traveling is almost equivalent to photos!
When we visit new places or meet new people, we want to keep those moments stamp forever in our memories through photos.
With the advent of technology and the rise of photo-sharing sites and applications like Instagram, our desire to show off our you-only-live-once, #travelgoals moments through photos have been ignited. We want to keep our feed coordinated, and of course, we want to display our happy faces to our followers.
But the thing is, something is always off when you take a photo and beam at the camera. You browsed through your tagged photos on Instagram and Facebook and sighed because you looked like the ugly duckling among your crowd — ugly duckling with dental braces.
Another sigh escaped your lips because, without braces, your crooked teeth will grab the baton in spoiling your smile.
So, how can you prevent dental braces from ruining your travel photos without hiding your smile?
Here are five ways you can straighten your teeth without spoiling your photos.
Choose lingual braces
Lingual braces are a type of dental braces. However, instead of being attached to the front of the teeth, lingual braces correct malocclusion through the back of the teeth.
Because of their placement, these braces are less noticeable. Unless you open your mouth wide and tilt your head backward in the process, no one will know that you are undergoing orthodontic treatment.
Opt for ceramic braces
Through the years, Orthodontics has introduced improvements on dental braces to address their drawbacks, particularly regarding aesthetics.
Although more apparent than lingual braces, ceramic braces are less prominent compared to other metal braces as they adopt a tooth-colored or clear appearance.
Go clear with Invisalign
Another development in Orthodontics that those who dread wearing dental braces will like is Invisalign. Invisalign is a computer-generated tray which is almost transparent.
Through this technology, you straighten your teeth by wearing clear aligners which are adjusted every two weeks or so. Since they are clear, they don’t show in photos.
Another characteristic of Invisalign that may appeal to some is its removability. You can take the appliance off when eating, brushing, etc., as long as you keep it on for at least 21 hours.
Embrace your dental braces!
If none of those options appealed to you, why don’t you just make the best out of your dental braces? You can enjoy the experience and experiment with dental elastic colors to “decorate” your teeth.
Brackets are also available in gold.
Take care of your teeth while on braces!
The best thing you can do while on braces is to take care of your teeth. Your braces will be gone in 18 or 24 months, but your photos can still be ruined if you don’t keep your teeth healthy.
While you are straightening your teeth, make sure to practice proper oral hygiene including:
- Brushing. Braces can increase the potential for food particles to get stuck between the teeth and the orthodontic device. Plaque can also accumulate around the brackets and linger longer in the mouth without proper oral care. Make sure to brush at least twice a day for two minutes, ensuring that all areas are reached.
- Flossing. Flossing can be challenging while in braces, but as aforementioned, there is an increased chance of food and plaque accumulation. You can opt for an interdental toothbrush or oral irrigator if a string floss does not suit you.
- Rinse with mouthwash. Rinsing with mouthwash helps wash away leftover food particles, and plaque brushing and flossing may have missed. It can also keep your breath fresh.
- No to sweets. Avoid eating sweets especially those hard and chewy ones. Because basic oral hygiene can be difficult while in braces, limiting your sugar consumption will help in lessening the chances of tooth decay.
- Visit your Kaneohe dentist. Undergoing orthodontic treatment requires more dental visits than usual. Make sure to go to every appointment to keep your treatment on the right track and to check the overall condition of your oral health.